Tuesday 7 August 2012

Age versus experience

I was speaking to a consultant in London recently and he was advising that when one applies for a job advertised on the recruitment network at my age I have a 5% chance of ticking all the boxes.....and anyway even 40 year olds are struggling now!!!
Two days later I was ensconced in a discussion with a business owner who asked me to join him to take his business on to the next level.
I am bemused that in times when business has never been so difficult, and business owners and stakeholders are striving to make profit and in many cases survive that we are still having this debate at all.
The marketing of oneself and knowledge is an art and a science,  but fundamentally what I know and what I do has resonance and substance supported by evidential results that knowledge based on experience is vital. This is not as a substitute for bright, highly trained personnel.
This situation is not new but if we are to prosper and see off the ravages of economic instability we need to get help from wherever we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment