Monday 4 October 2010

Value of Leadership

I was reading in the McKinsey magazine about the attributes of good leadership and it made me reflect on the obligations I have had , over the years to run businesses and show leadership , often in trying circumstances.

If I had to summarise , I would say that the main objective was to get as many people as possible into the same space in which I was operating . Many academic studies have discussed the team bonding aspects , but I am speaking about the psychological impact of the fictitious plane crash.

The plane takes off and it is full of people from every walk of life , and assuming most people survive the accident on a desert island, the focus of a leader is to bond the various skills in a cohesive way.

In the workplace analogy, extreme events are rare thankfully , but it is important to recognise that business only survives or prospers by the collective efforts of the whole team.It is also true that not all participants see it as there role to join in , which causes the effort to be diminished to varying degrees.

Someone once said that if your business is doing well create a crisis. I am sure in the current business environment that is not required , but nevertheless everyone needs to be led with a common understanding and a common sense of purpose.The business boss has to create that environment

No comments:

Post a Comment